Friday, April 26, 2013

Miss Independent

Contrary to popular belief, Independence (mine in particular) was not a phase to be grown out of but instead a way of life to bloom into.


I have crystalline clear memories of fighting my mum tooth to nail on outfit selections when I was getting ready for my busy days in "Smile Class" (aka: preschool).  She would be red-faced and flustered by the end of the "time to get dressed" ordeal and I would either be puffed up & proud as a peacock for my victory or totally distraught because my creative freedom was being stifled. (It's no wonder my parents decided to put me in an elementary school that wore uniforms.  She saw the red flags and flashing lights and she yielded to them.  Her days of wrestling a 4 year old with the will of a rhino were over. Well played, Mum.)


As the wonder years progressed, so did my desire to stretch boundaries.  Let's keep in mind I didn't really grow up in an overly strict household, so the boundaries that I speak of were pretty reasonable.  However, my evolution to Miss Independent didn't really pay homage to the good old boys of R&R (Reason & Rationale).  Instead I was bursting at the seems to go-go-go and good luck to anyone that muttered "no", "not a good idea", "you probably shouldn't do that" or anything that resembled a warning to move ahead with caution.


(I should add that in addition to a burning flame of independence, I was also host (still am) to the fun, the daring, the always exciting Defiance and Curiosity!)

Now it's really time to party!!!!
Now that my motley crew of characteristics is out of the bag you can imagine what an exciting journey it's been.  High School hiccups and my Twenty-somethings filled to the brim with trip-ups segued beautifully into Mistake Mania and the Who Knew Hullabaloo.  But in the end, I wouldn't trade any of it.  None of the wrong turns, detours, the "are you kidding, how did you even get here?"s.  Not even the what-ifs (though I must admit that those make me pause on occasion).

So what's the bottom line?  Well, life has been far too juicy for me to trade any of it in. My independence lead the way along with my defiance and my curiosity.  Was it easy? No, it wasn't. Was it a direct route?  Absolutely not. In fact, it might have been the most indirect route possible to where I am today. Was I a nightmare for my parents, siblings, level-headed friends and my sweetheart of a fiancĂ©?  You bet your ass I was.


But that's all part of what makes me, Me.  You have to give me the room, the space and sometimes the time to get there on my own.  Don't try to change me, don't try to talk me out of it (we all know that's code for talking me into it, anyway) don't try to dissuade me just because.  All I need is a little belief and I'm certain I'll make it to the point where your path crosses with mine (unless I took a detour, then we might have to rejig the plan...but you get what I'm saying, right?).

As a parting gift to all my friends who share their lives with my fellow Independent Spirits, take a deep, cleansing breath, smile and have a little faith. And when those moments appear when you might need a little more than faith, just remind yourselves that free spirits are not meant to be wrangled.


:: Always from under the same sky ::

Tara
Imagery courtesy of (from top to bottom):
"Miami Supreme" by Tara Mazzeo
"Little T" by Tara Mazzeo
"Do Not Enter" pin via Pinterest
"Curiosity" by Jon Bertelli
"A little bigger T" by Tara Mazzeo
Cecil Beaton quote via http://mrsamberapple.tumblr.com


No comments:

Post a Comment